New York, NY, May 11, 2015 — — Nikolai Rakossi, a murder suspect who fled to Russia in 2011 after allegedly knifing his American wife and her daughter in their Brooklyn apartment, faces trial. According to Tula Regional Prosecutor Office, Russian Federation, the case number N_2-102015 is scheduled to start in Tula Regional Court, Russia on May 12th, 2015 on evidence from the US authorities linking Rakossi to the two murders in New York four years ago.
In the hours after the double homicide on 16 April 2011, Rakossi fled to Moscow, using a one-way Aeroflot ticket, before the bodies of the women were discovered. Landing in Russia, Rakossi avoided prosecution in the U.S. because Russia does not extradite its citizens to other countries. It took 36 months for the US to transfer the case to the Russian Federation, after which Rakossi was apprehended and arrested in Novomoskovsk, Russia. In collaboration with the New York Police Department, Russian detectives flew to the US to visit the crime scene and interview the witnesses. Andrei Yartsev, chief spokesman of Tula police: “The results of the American side’s investigation were passed to the Russian General Prosecutor’s office so that the person can be charged with a criminal offense.”
Rakossi fled to Russia to avoid facing trial in the US but the cooperation of the two law enforcement agencies has conducted an extensive investigation to ensure the alleged killer faces trial in Russia and does not evade justice by crossing the country borders.
The trial is due to begin at 11:00 am on May 12th, 2015 under the presiding judge M.V. Boldova at
Tula Regional Court House
Pr. Lenina, 45
+7 (4872) 36-15-51
1) AP/Huffington Post, 04/19/2011 – http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/19/ny-police-seek-russian-ma_n_850964.html
2) WSJ, 04/20/2011 – http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703789104576273352155669420
3) NY Post, 10/27/2013 – http://nypost.com/2013/10/27/russian-rambo-suspected-in-double-murder-finally-caught
4) Daily Mail, 10/10/2014 – http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2788577/russian-rambo-61-butchered-american-girlfriend-daughter-brooklyn-apartment-fleeing-russia-2011-finally-faces-trial.html
5) Tula Prosecutor Office, 03/25/2015 – http://www.prokuror-tula.ru/news/central-unit/16190/?sphrase_id=13368